If you or someone in your home is in a wheelchair or uses a walker, it’s time to make your home and vehicle more handicap-accessible. However, it can be difficult to choose the right types of modifications.
Here’s how to choose between a handicap-accessible ramp or lift:
For your home:
- How much space do you have available? Ramps require significantly more space than lifts.
- Think about maintenance. Lifts require regular professional maintenance and inspection. A friend or relative could maintain a ramp by salting it and removing snow in winter and by replacing anti-slip material when it becomes worn.
- Are you planning to sell your home any time soon? A lift is easier to hide, and its installation is less likely to require the removal of decorative elements like planters.
For your vehicle:
- What is your budget? Vehicle ramps are, on the whole, less expensive than lifts. Portable ramps are the most cost-effective of all and can be used with multiple vehicles.
- What are your mobility needs? Some individuals may not be able to get into or out of a vehicle without a motorized ramp or a lift.
- How much room do you have? In tight parking spots, there may not be room for a ramp, so a lift would be a better choice.
Whether you choose a handicap-accessible ramp or a lift, BEK Medical has the products you need. We offer a variety of home and vehicle mobility solutions that will make getting around easier and more comfortable. Contact us today to find out more!