As adults, we spend most of our “awake hours” at our jobs. For most of us, it’s around 40 hours per week and sometimes more. It’s important that we take advantage of these working hours and keep an eye on our health.
Eating right, exercising, and making sure you get enough sleep are all important when it comes to keeping up a healthy lifestyle, but posture is often forgotten. Having good posture will help you have more energy and less fatigue. It also helps with back problems and headaches. Long term effects of poor posture include problems with digestion, breathing, elimination, and muscle, joint, and ligament issues.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, about 1 in 3 people are impacted by neck pain throughout the year. Changing your posture can dramatically improve issues with neck and back pain.
Good posture means all of your bones, muscles, joints, and ligaments are properly aligned. Proper posture enables all of your organs to be in the right place and function to their fullest potential.
Here are a few tips for improving your posture:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Extra weight around the torso can pull on your back which forces your neck forward over time.
- Regular exercise. Staying flexible and strong is essential for maintaining proper alignment and having enough support.
- Invest in a high-quality mattress that works for you. Firmer mattresses support your spine and keep all of your vertebrae aligned during sleep.
- Check out your desk and chair. They should be supportive and have proper height ratios for you. You may need to increase the height of your chair or get a footrest. In addition, place your computer monitor so that it is even with your line of eyesight. This will help to keep you sitting straight.
- Set reminders for yourself to do a posture check. During breaks, align yourself against a wall and put effort into staying that way throughout the rest of the day.
- When you have time, get up from your desk and walk around, do light stretches to help loosen any tense muscles from sitting for long periods of time.
- Last but not least, invest in supportive accessories to help your keep your back and neck in line. They can be worn under or over clothing and over time will help to improve your posture and health. A posture control shoulder brace is great for those who tend to slouch at the shoulders while lumbar-sacral support will help you from lower to mid-back.
BEK Medical has a wide range of neck cushions, perfect for those that suffer from neck pain. This includes our Thermabeads Neck Pain Relief wrap. This neck wrap can be warmed in the microwave to provide heat therapy. Simply put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and once it is warm apply this adjustable wrap to your neck. I should be snug but not tight.
The Inflatable Neck Cushion is also another great way to provide support to your neck and help improve posture. Neck pillows are not just for use on the airplane. You can also wear them during your daily commutes, while sitting at your desk, and while taking a nap.
If you have consistent neck pain it is best to visit your doctor to be sure there is no underlying injury.
We hope these tips help encourage better posture and relieve your neck pain problems!
BEK Medical is dedicated to providing home medical supplies that help encourage healthy lifestyles. We provide a number of accessories to help combat neck pain, from beck braces, neck cushion, and traction set. Check out our medical products on our website, to help improve your health today!